Input on the 2018 Municipal Budget
Discussions and preparations for the 2018 municipal budget are well underway at the City of Thunder Bay. On January 11, 2018, your Chamber will have the opportunity to make a deputation to Council about the budget. Responses to this survey will help us in preparing our message to Council on this important issue.
2018 Budget Key Dates
- Budget Direction Presented to Council – July 31, 2017
- Pre-Budget Consultation Meeting – September 12, 2017
- Public Pre-Budget Deputation Meeting – September 26, 2017
- Proposed Budget Available to the Public – January 2, 2018
- Long Term Financial Overview Presentation – January 9, 2018
- Public Pre-Budget Deputation Meeting – January 11, 2018
- Council Detailed Budget Review – January 16, 18, 24, and 31, 2018
- Expected Budget Approval by Council – February 5, 2018
Our members tell us that they want the city to reduce non-essential services and focus on core municipal duties; to eliminate duplication and look to streamlined processes and new technologies to find efficiencies.
The Chamber has long advocated for a review of the city’s core services that would be the starting point of an informed, community-wide discussion on the future of municipal expenditures. This review would help to educate citizens about the number and cost of programs that the City must provide to meet Municipal Act obligations as well as the number and cost of non-mandated services. A conversation could then begin on the relative value of non-mandated municipal programs in our community’s pursuit of its strategic plan.
What We Do for You:
- We monitor the City Council agenda for items related to this issue.
- We participate annually in pre-budget consultations with City Administration and City Council
- We maintain open dialogue with the City Manager and individual City Councillors on municipal finance issues as they arise.
- We keep our Members abreast of issues and concerns as they are identified.
How You Can Participate:
- Share your views on city spending and taxation through our annual survey.
- Contact us with specific concerns, or to ensure you’re on our contact list for this issue.
This is a Municipal Issue.
Contact us to be included in talks and updates.
Charla Robinson, President