Workplace Mental Health ResourcesNew tools help small business bridge the gap for a better workplace
Below are two resources supplied by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce and Canadian Chamber of Commerce to support businesses looking to improve their own workplace mental health policy.
The Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) released the Working Towards Mental Wellness toolkit in July 2017 This resource seeks to assist employers in adopting mental health strategies for their workplace. In it, the OCC outlines the benefits of a healthy workplace, helps define what a healthy workplace looks like, and lays out steps for businesses to take meaningful action in addressing mental wellness in the workplace.
More resources to help employers build their own mental health strategies can be found at www.occ.ca/mentalhealth.
Mentally Healthy Workplaces
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce is committed to promoting positive mental health in the workplace and is in the process of adopting the National Standard for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace. They are also encouraging chambers and boards of trade across Canada to champion mentally healthy workplaces and encourage their member businesses to adopt the Standard.
- National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace (Free publication)
- FAQ: National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace (PDF)
- Assembling the Pieces: An Implementation Guide to the National Standards for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace ($30)
- Assembling the Pieces Toolkit (Free online training)
- Being a Mindful Employee: An Orientation to Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace (Free online training)
- Video Series: 13 Factors: Addressing Mental Health in the Workplace
- Free Webinars
- Learn More about Mental Wellness in the Workplace
A mentally healthy workplace can:
- Foster a positive culture
- Promote employee’s mental well-being
- Prevent harm to employee mental health
- Support people with mental health problems and illnesses
- Reduce stigma and discrimination
- Financial performance
- Risk management
- Organizational recruitment
- Employee retention