Shop-Local Case Study:TBayTel
Tbaytel was one of our September case studies for the Shop Local Money-Back Guarantee. We really liked this example because the numbers are just plain BIG.
Our local resource-based and manufacturing industries have historically been looked at as the major sources of employment in the area, but companies like TBayTel challenge that assumption. And although you can’t single-handedly change the world to create demand for pulp and paper or train cars, you can definitely #ChooseTBayFirst when you’re making buying decisions about phone and mobile service, TV, internet and all the awesome toys that go with.
#ChooseTBayFirst by shopping with a TBay business like Tbaytel, and your dollars come back to you through…
- Taxes paid by their 430 employees who own or rent homes, drive or bus to work, and who themselves support local businesses.
- $542,000 in support to local charities and organizations that provide services that make our community a better place to live.
- Dollars invested in other local businesses and back into the economy.
- Improvements in TBayTel’s infrastructure that extend cell and internet service and bring new technology into the community.
- A $17.25 MILLION DOLLAR dividend paid to the City of Thunder Bay. Yep, you read that right. Seventeen million. Divided by all the taxpaying households in Thunder Bay, that’s over $350 a year in taxes that the average family doesn’t have to pay because of a TBay business.
Learn more about the amazing people and businesses among our Members:
Support community good works with the Charity Connect program. Learn more.
Participants in the 100 People Who Care campaign donate, nominate and vote for their favourite Member charity to receive a quarterly group donation. Sign up.
Upcoming Chamber Events
We’re very excited to welcome Thera Chicoine to the Chamber team!!read more
Our Members are amazing! This month’s Good News includes items from Breakfast, Lunch & Deener, OLG and Resolute Forest Products!read more
This holiday season, you could WIN BIG just by choosing to support Thunder Bay businesses! From November 18 through December 7, visit our participating businesses and fill out a ballot for your chance to win a Christmas Shopping Spree worth $4,500!read more
This event is the first step in our new partnership with United Way and the Lakehead Social Planning Council and presents an opportunity for business to learn more about the social issues Thunder Bay is engaging with. Attendees will discuss what actions are being taken and what progress is being made, where the challenges and opportunities lie, and how working together we can help move solutions forward. Come prepared to learn, to share what you know and to participate in the development of next steps for our community.read more
On November 6, the Government of Ontario released its 2019 Fall Economic Statement entitled, “2019 Ontario Economic Outlook and Fiscal Review: A Plan to Build Ontario Together,” which provides an update on the government’s finances and announces commitments for the upcoming 2020 Budget…read more