Shop-Local Case Study:TBayTel
Tbaytel was one of our September case studies for the Shop Local Money-Back Guarantee. We really liked this example because the numbers are just plain BIG.
Our local resource-based and manufacturing industries have historically been looked at as the major sources of employment in the area, but companies like TBayTel challenge that assumption. And although you can’t single-handedly change the world to create demand for pulp and paper or train cars, you can definitely #ChooseTBayFirst when you’re making buying decisions about phone and mobile service, TV, internet and all the awesome toys that go with.
#ChooseTBayFirst by shopping with a TBay business like Tbaytel, and your dollars come back to you through…
- Taxes paid by their 430 employees who own or rent homes, drive or bus to work, and who themselves support local businesses.
- $542,000 in support to local charities and organizations that provide services that make our community a better place to live.
- Dollars invested in other local businesses and back into the economy.
- Improvements in TBayTel’s infrastructure that extend cell and internet service and bring new technology into the community.
- A $17.25 MILLION DOLLAR dividend paid to the City of Thunder Bay. Yep, you read that right. Seventeen million. Divided by all the taxpaying households in Thunder Bay, that’s over $350 a year in taxes that the average family doesn’t have to pay because of a TBay business.
Learn more about the amazing people and businesses among our Members:
Support community good works with the Charity Connect program. Learn more.
Participants in the 100 People Who Care campaign donate, nominate and vote for their favourite Member charity to receive a quarterly group donation. Sign up.
Upcoming Chamber Events
On Thursday, January 9th Charla presented feedback on the proposed 2020 City budget. Video and full text of the deputation here.
In her latest Issues & Insights blog post, Charla discusses the 2020 Municipal Budget. (with video)
In her latest Issues & Insights blog post, Charla discusses the Phase 1 report of the City’s Program & Service Review and how it aligns with key recommendations in the Chamber’s City of Opportunity platform.
We’re very excited to welcome Thera Chicoine to the Chamber team!!
Our Members are amazing! This month’s Good News includes items from Breakfast, Lunch & Deener, OLG and Resolute Forest Products!