Shop-Local Case Study:TBayTel
Tbaytel was one of our September case studies for the Shop Local Money-Back Guarantee. We really liked this example because the numbers are just plain BIG.
Our local resource-based and manufacturing industries have historically been looked at as the major sources of employment in the area, but companies like TBayTel challenge that assumption. And although you can’t single-handedly change the world to create demand for pulp and paper or train cars, you can definitely #ChooseTBayFirst when you’re making buying decisions about phone and mobile service, TV, internet and all the awesome toys that go with.
#ChooseTBayFirst by shopping with a TBay business like Tbaytel, and your dollars come back to you through…
- Taxes paid by their 430 employees who own or rent homes, drive or bus to work, and who themselves support local businesses.
- $542,000 in support to local charities and organizations that provide services that make our community a better place to live.
- Dollars invested in other local businesses and back into the economy.
- Improvements in TBayTel’s infrastructure that extend cell and internet service and bring new technology into the community.
- A $17.25 MILLION DOLLAR dividend paid to the City of Thunder Bay. Yep, you read that right. Seventeen million. Divided by all the taxpaying households in Thunder Bay, that’s over $350 a year in taxes that the average family doesn’t have to pay because of a TBay business.
Learn more about the amazing people and businesses among our Members:
Support community good works with the Charity Connect program. Learn more.
Participants in the 100 People Who Care campaign donate, nominate and vote for their favourite Member charity to receive a quarterly group donation. Sign up.
Upcoming Chamber Events
Under the City’s Procedural By-law, the Chamber of Commerce is not eligible to make a further deputation on the above By-Law during the October 7, 2019 meeting. As such, this letter outlines the Chamber’s on-going concerns with the proposed by-law…read more
THUNDER BAY, ON: SEPTEMBER 27, 2019 – Delegates for the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce have recently returned from successful meetings at the Canadian Chamber of Commerce (CCC) in Saint John, NB. A key focus of the conference was the debate of 76...read more
Our Members are amazing! This month’s Good News mentions URide, Thunder Bay Ventures, Eat Local Pizza and the Kitchen Nook / Finnish Bookstore. Read on and see if you missed any of these great stories…read more
Under a new agreement with Scotiabank, you can now opt in to a Crowd Deposit fund with the Chamber.
Your savings remain separate from other participants’, but the interest you earn will be based on the combined balances of all participating Chamber Members.