The Ontario Government has announced its intention to introduce legislation that will provide employees with up to $200 of pay for up to three days if they are missing work because of COVID-19. The province will partner with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board to deliver the program and reimburse employers up to $200 per day for each employee.
Paid Sick Days will be applied to the following:
- going for a COVID-19covid 19 test
- staying home awaiting the results of a COVID-19covid 19 test
- being sick with COVID-19covid 19
- going to get vaccinated
- experiencing a side effect from a COVID-19covid 19 vaccination
- having been advised to self-isolate due to COVID-19covid 19 by an employer, medical practitioner or other authority
- taking care of a dependent who is:
- sick with COVID-19covid 19 or has symptoms of COVID-19covid 19
- self-isolating due to COVID-19
The province has also offered to provide funding to the federal government to double CRSB payments to Ontario residents, adding an additional $500 per week to eligible individuals for a total of $1,000 per week.
Employers and their workers can call a dedicated COVID-19 Sick Days Information Centre hotline at 1-888-999-2248 or visit Ontario.ca/COVIDworkerbenefit to get more information and updates about the proposed Ontario COVID-19 paid leave days.