Media Release: Success Certified Program Provides Valuable Job Skills; Increases Employability for High School Students
THUNDER BAY, ON, April 30, 2019
On May 1st & 2nd, students from Thunder Bay high schools, including Matawa Learning Centre, will have the opportunity to gain valuable certifications that will assist them in their career and educational pursuits.
Success Certified is a joint initiative of the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce, Lakehead Public Schools, the Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board, and Conseil scolaire de district catholique des Aurores boreales with support from Confederation College, the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities, and local sponsors Synergy North and Enbridge Gas Inc. The program was initially launched in 2008 and has received great acclaim from students, parents, and teachers.
In total 275 seats are being used to provide students from grade 10, 11 & 12 the opportunity to gain certifications recognized by employers and as part of their high school education, including:
- Chain Saw Safety – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Confined Space Awareness – Course provider: Superior Strategies
- Connecting & Use of Propane Heaters – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Hoisting & Rigging – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Lockout / Tag Out Procedures – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Power Elevated Aerial Platforms – Course provider: Carpenters Local 1669 Training Centre
- Salon Assistant – Course provider: A Spa for You
- SAVE (Snowmobile, ATV & Vessel) – Course provider: Thunder Bay District Health Unit SAVE committee
- Service Excellence – Course provider: Superior Strategies
- SMART Serve – Course provider: Youth Employment Services
- Standard First Aid (CPR – C) – Course provider: St John Ambulance
- Working at Heights – Course provider: Carpenters Local 1669 Training Centre
The press is invited to observe, photograph and conduct interviews at Confederation College on Wednesday May 1 at 1:15pm when the courses are in action.
View News by Topic
It has been a difficult week for the citizens of Thunder Bay with the announcement of layoff notices for 550 employees at the Bombardier plant due to a lack of future work contracts…read more
Copperfin is Northwestern Ontario’s largest locally owned credit union…read more
Executive Director Michael Quibell introduces The Dew Drop Inn, which has been feeding the hungry in Thunder Bay for over 38 years.read more
Our Members are amazing! This month, Good News featuring DST Consulting Engineers, Kozar Engineering, Lakehead Public Schools and more…read more