Media Release: Success Certified Program Provides Valuable Job Skills; Increases Employability for High School Students
THUNDER BAY, ON, April 30, 2019
On May 1st & 2nd, students from Thunder Bay high schools, including Matawa Learning Centre, will have the opportunity to gain valuable certifications that will assist them in their career and educational pursuits.
Success Certified is a joint initiative of the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce, Lakehead Public Schools, the Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board, and Conseil scolaire de district catholique des Aurores boreales with support from Confederation College, the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities, and local sponsors Synergy North and Enbridge Gas Inc. The program was initially launched in 2008 and has received great acclaim from students, parents, and teachers.
In total 275 seats are being used to provide students from grade 10, 11 & 12 the opportunity to gain certifications recognized by employers and as part of their high school education, including:
- Chain Saw Safety – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Confined Space Awareness – Course provider: Superior Strategies
- Connecting & Use of Propane Heaters – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Hoisting & Rigging – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Lockout / Tag Out Procedures – Course provider: Intola Safety
- Power Elevated Aerial Platforms – Course provider: Carpenters Local 1669 Training Centre
- Salon Assistant – Course provider: A Spa for You
- SAVE (Snowmobile, ATV & Vessel) – Course provider: Thunder Bay District Health Unit SAVE committee
- Service Excellence – Course provider: Superior Strategies
- SMART Serve – Course provider: Youth Employment Services
- Standard First Aid (CPR – C) – Course provider: St John Ambulance
- Working at Heights – Course provider: Carpenters Local 1669 Training Centre
The press is invited to observe, photograph and conduct interviews at Confederation College on Wednesday May 1 at 1:15pm when the courses are in action.
View News by Topic
Today the government released the regulations and guidance for businesses and organizations to support them in implementing proof of vaccination requirements, which take effect on September 22, 2021. Requiring proof of vaccination will help increase vaccination rates,...
Check your inboxes! E-ballots will be sent to the designated voting rep for each of our Member organizations on Wednesday, September 15th. You'll have until September 30th to make your decision and follow your voting link to cast your ballot. Didn't receive yours? ...
We’re very pleased to be working once again in partnership with the Anishnawbe Business Professional Association and media partner NetNewsledger.com to host a Candidates’ Forum on business and social issues for Thunder Bay Superior North and Thunder Bay Rainy River Districts.
Due to the ongoing public health concerns, this year’s debate will be not be open to to the public, but will be shared on our channels September 9th & 10th at 5pm.
The COVID-19 Worker Income Protection Benefit paid infectious disease emergency leave was originally set to end September 25, 2021. It will now continue until December 31, 2021. The COVID-19 Worker Income Protection Benefit (WIPB) includes: • up to three days of paid...