The Policy and Advocacy Committee supports the achievement of the Chamber’s strategic objectives by:
- Identifying issues at all levels of government that affect the local business community;
- Informing and educating Chamber members regarding policy issues and initiatives;
- Developing informed/evidence-based policy recommendations and/or resolutions as required, including for consideration at the annual meetings of the Ontario and Canadian Chambers of Commerce; and
- Providing support for the Chamber in advocating to Federal, Provincial and Municipal government.
The Board of Directors must approve any policy position before it is considered adopted by the Chamber.
When evaluating issues for the establishment of Chamber policy or a Chamber position on an issue, the Committee will consider the following:
- The impact of an issue on the local economy.
- The need to provide objective and timely information to all levels of government to assist in their decision making.
- The need to impact more than one Chamber member.
Meetings of the Policy and Advocacy Committee are held as needed to address issues in a timely manner.
– Last Updated September, 2016
Chamber programs and services are designed around three Pillars of Service:
Be heard where it matters, when it matters most. As a Member of the Chamber, you’ve got a voice in the forum that provides leadership to the region. We represent over 950 companies, and we look to you to advise us we develop the “Chamber position” on issues that affect our Member businesses and the economy that drives our community. Learn more.
We’re dedicated to fostering relationships – between members, between business and community, between business and government, and more. Through social gatherings, educational events, trade shows, conferences and our powerful Members-only interactive online platform we create opportunities for Members to engage. Learn more.
Discover tools for professional development, staff training and business growth with learning events designed to stimulate new ideas, teach new skills and introduce you to subject-matter experts among our Membership and partners. Learn more.
Together, we are the catalyst for a stronger business community.
To be recognized as Thunder Bay’s leading business organization, providing maximum opportunity to its members and advocating for business and community health, growth and economic prosperity.